According to an article, “Three Best Ways to Win a New Client” by Willa Plank (Wall Street Journal 01/14/10), many small businesses ring in the New Year by taking a fresh approach to winning new clients. Always a student looking for innovation and successful process, I found myself nodding positively while filtering the information.
Here are the nuggets I take away from the read:
1. Do you really know who your target customer is? What do they do? What do they value?
2. Have you positioned your message to gain those customers?
3. Are you working your connections with regularity, and eking out sources to new pathways?
4. Know and go where the growth is. Core industries doing well are medical, oil & gas, green technology, defense and space. Are there businesses in your area serving these?
5. Having a second and third market sub-set can support redirection as growth industries change? Can you implement fluidity in your marketing process to follow that growth?
6. Are you partnering with companies that provide a similar or complementary service?
7. Are you using online (no/low cost) tools to reach out?
Asking and answering these questions for your unique area and niche can help fine tune or re-vamp your current marketing approach. These days’ markets change more quickly and it’s important to stay agile and alert. Opportunities may rise and fall without notice unless you remain vigilant. Make this a game you play two or three times a year and you may find the path more easily traveled.
(posted by Barbara Calkins, Author, Massage Coach, Health Educator and Back Care Ergo/Product Specialist. Find related posts at: MassageTrend Blog, Massage Marketing Rebellion Blog or Join Massage Marketing Rebellion Yahoo Group)